The Norwegian Labour Party
The Norwegian Labour Party together with our youth organization AUF supported and participated on tonights memory processions all over Norway honouring the victims of last weeks attacks. Over 200 000 people attended the procession in Oslo.
Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg:
– The people I see gathered here today, and the warmth I feel from people all over the country makes me certain: Norway will pass the test. Evil can kill a human being, but never defeat a people, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said in his speech.
– Tonight, the norwegian people writes history. With the strongest of all the worlds weapons: free speech and democracy, we stake out the course for Norway after july 22. 2011.
– With torches and roses we give the world a message: We will not let fear break us, Stoltenberg said.
AUF-leader Eskil Pedersen was also one of main speakers:
– The society somebody tried to take away from us will not crumble. The young people will ensure that it grows and grows. The Norwegian people have met hate with love. We share the grief across ideologies, across age, across background.
– He took some of our most beautiful roses, but he can not stop our spring, Pedersen said.
Gro Harlem Brundtland, Norway’s former Prime Minister (1981, 1986-89, 1990-96) and Party Leader (1981-1992) also participated in the procession.
– My thoughts go to everyone mourning over their lost loved ones. I've had tears in my eyes most of this evening, and I think many people felt it the same.
Our young ones and their families all across Norway are grieving. On behalf of AUF, the Norwegian Labour Party kindly asks all media not to approach or call participants and their relatives at this time.