Sunday, April 3, 2011

Labour Retro Down Under

CreativeUnions.org

The Maritime Union of Australia has posted some of their older films onto Vimeo. The MUA was quite forward thinking when they formed The Waterside Workers’ Federation Film Unit in 1953. Their film unit was made up of film makers Jock Levy, Keith Gow and Norma Disher. It’s claimed to be the only dedicated film unit in a union any where in the world ever. I’m not going to argue with that claim unless anyone can give me details of another. There are a few of the films they made on the MUA Vimeo channel and you can also buy a DVD on the MUA website. 

I particularly like the video below because it shows some of the amazing banners produced for May Day marches in Sydney in the 1950s. I’m also interested if anyone knows the artists who worked on banners in the 1950s and 1960s, if so let me know I would be keen to have a chat. Just send me an email: atosha@creativeunions.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment